Poz Mikey

4/09/2007

Imus

So I'm not really a fan of Don Imus the radio talk show host. Last Wednesday on his show he called the Rutgers university girls basketball team..."Nappy haired ho's." Could this have been a racist statement? I really don't know if it was a racist statement. What I do know there is a double standard in this country.

Now when I went to high school, half our student body was black. One of the malls I worked at in Baltimore was predominately black. Many a time I have herd the same statement coming out of black peoples mouth.

We hear it in rap music, we read it in contemporary literature, and hear it in movies. It's ok if a black person says that statement. If a white person who is a celebrity says that statement there is a controversy. The Reverend Al Sharpton and the Reverend Jesse Jackson are calling foul.

These two leaders of the black community need to take a hard look at their community before raising the racism flag. Do I think what Don Imus said was wrong? Yes I do and I think he already apologized.

When Michael Richards used the N word, Sharpton and Jackson went after him with both barrels (and they had every right too.) I think this matter is a little different. The statement used is used in the black community all the time.

So to the Reverend Al Sharpton and the Reverend Jesse Jackson. Don't cry racism until your culture takes it out of your music, literature, and movies. Preach to your own people the same thing you are preaching to Don Imus and the media.

1 Comments:

  • I agree with you. While I would never use the words and phrases that Richards and Imus used, I find it kind of hypocritical that the black community is up in arms about it. They use those phrases all the time. Practice what you preach.

    By Blogger Karl, At 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home

|