Poz Mikey

3/23/2006

Rent


So last night Mikey watched "Rent." Jill and Bob ordered it from Netflix and Mikey borrowed shutting out the world for the night. After watching the germaphob giving away money, watching Bill Gates leave another show and watching a hottie try to win more money. I slipped the DVD into my computer to watch this movie.

Mikey gives it three tissues for that's how many times tears were streaming down my face. Yes I am a hopeless romantic and a few times this musical hit a little too close to home. It reminded of people who I have known in the past. It reminded me of when I first found out I was positive searching desperately for a support group unable to find one . The three roomies that died last year from HIV.

Could Mikey become a "Rent Head?" Let's just give that one time, Mikey would like to see the stage version first before making that decision. I did like the music and Chris Columbus did a ok job in directing the film. Was it the best film I have ever seen? Not by a long shot but it was worth watching. One of the few subtle things I liked was one character had a pager to take their AZT. Most people don't know this but people in the HIV club need to take their meds about the same time everyday for the meds to be effective.

11 Comments:

  • I really have no desire to see the movie as ˆI saw the play twice in person. Fantastic show that I love to this day. Kicks the ass of anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber in my opinion. I will get flamed for that, I'm sure.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:21 AM  

  • I saw the play, and saw the movie and must admit I liked to movie version better. (It was a weeper for me both times as well).

    I was quite amazed at how different Idina Menzel was in this production as compared to her Tony-winning role as Elphaba in "Wicked".

    By Blogger Justin Thyme, At 11:25 AM  

  • I cried too - but what is more embarassing is when I am caught crying at Extreme Makeover Home Edition (a very manipulative show) - I am too sad!

    By Blogger Rye, At 3:24 PM  

  • I've never heard of rent, but it's noted. Netflix can be brutal once you get hooked.

    TGIF!

    By Blogger Ben, At 8:26 PM  

  • my friend just made me RENT's soundtrack.... cool beans.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:39 PM  

  • I've seen the play, not the movie.

    Although I think the story is beautiful, both the actual story of the play and the writer's story, I don't get the whole, "renthead" thing.

    I haven't seen the movie due to my friends stateing it wasn't worth it.
    Perhaps you have just changed my mind.

    By Blogger Party Girl, At 8:47 PM  

  • Kevin-Most times musicals don't transfer to film well

    Justin-Never saw "Wicked" but I want to

    Rye-You gotta love TY

    Ben-I am sure Rufus and Roscoe have herd of it

    Moonchild-I now want the sound track also

    Partygirl-"Rentheads" are over the top fans of the show

    By Blogger Poz Mikey, At 9:02 PM  

  • I'm so glad that you had your first RENT experience. It's been my obsession since it first came debuted on Broadway. The movie was incredibly authentic and I was VERY pleased with how it turned out. But it will never compare to seeing it all live. Promise me that you'll make that a requirement.

    I can totally understand why you identify so strongly with these wonderful characters. RENT is truly progressive in the way that it deals with homosexuality, drug use and the AIDS epidemic. Every time I hear Gordon's solo during the Life Support meeting, I sob.

    Although the movie is tragic at points, I can't help but feel that it's an uplifting story filled with some of the strongest characters ever created.

    I'm so glad that you had the experience with it that you did.

    Have a great weekend!

    By Blogger Joe, At 8:14 AM  

  • what's with referring to yourself in third person? is this a "renthead" side effect? ;)

    By Blogger Sizzle, At 5:33 PM  

  • Joe-I do want to see it live

    Ms Sizzle-Color me blonde with the third person thing. Hold on I am. LOL

    By Blogger Poz Mikey, At 10:47 PM  

  • Imma rent this sucker and see for maself.

    By Blogger WAT, At 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home

|