Poz Mikey

2/21/2006

Oprah


Ok I admit I was watching Oprah today and they had Katrina victims on her show. Granted I know the hurricane was bad, but one person said this families story was never told.(sob) Well let's just say a good friend of mine told me I should write a book about my life. Surviving Three Mile Island (See January31 posting), what I had been through the last 17 months with finding out I had HIV and my struggles and tribulations.

When is Oprah going to do a show on that. How people with HIV can loose almost everything they have, fighting the system just to live a normal life. Never once did she mention how people with HIV can not get their medications in that area. She had all these "families" on but what about the people who are getting sicker and sicker from HIV in that area. They didn't mention that either.

Has HIV been pushed in the back of peoples minds? Has HIV become the forgotten disease? Are people becoming to complacent about this world wide plague? I know a few of my readers deal with HIV on a daily basis, I am talking to those in the general public. I want to know what needs to be done for HIV to come into the public awareness again?

Many of us forget that last February in New York City there was a mutated super virus that was resistant to the medications. This one was killing people in a three month time span. Does everyone with the virus have to get the super virus for the government to take action. Does the CDC have to make another national announcement again to get HIV awareness brought back into the media? I hope I am not sounding bitter today but Oprah's show just really pissed me off.

4 Comments:

  • I think Oprah's show has been pissing a lot of people off lately. Ever since she bared her highly unprofessional fangs with James Frey. I've been reading blog post after blog post decrying what she did and reading about people who have stopped watching her entirely as a result.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:35 AM  

  • i honestly think most people try to push the HIV problem to the back of their minds-- not just because they are afraid of getting it themselves, but also because the fact that we can't cure it shows weakness in our medical capabilities; most people find solace and comfort in the fact that a dr can fix whatever ails them. to know that they can't cure AIDS at this time unsettles people and causes them to mistrust the entire medical profession, which ultimately leads to them shutting out these uncomfortable feelings...

    By Blogger eleKtrofly, At 2:13 PM  

  • I think this is an excellent time to write the producers of Oprah and not only bring it back into light, but also bring Oprah back to our world. Oprah is adored because we love her for being one of us... fat, flawed and doing her best... it's been a long time since we've seen that Oprah...

    I am sure you have plenty of people here who would back your opinion and help write letters to the producers...

    By Blogger B Merrick, At 8:31 PM  

  • Kevin- You are so right

    Elektrofly- we don't have a cure but it's not a death sentence anymore

    Bob-I wrote her an E mail after writing my post I was that pissed

    By Blogger Poz Mikey, At 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home

|