Poz Mikey

5/06/2006

The Complacency Of HIV/AIDS In The American Mind


So I am either fighting of thrush or strep throat, or both. My tongue is coated and my throat is raw and my energy level is down. I need to jump threw some hoops for the state before I can see a doctor. Being a little irritable when not feeling well I find myself wanting to do another heavy posting.

Why doesn't the media, entertainment industry, and politicians wake up and see that there is already a serious epidemic in our own back yard. I am sick and tired of hearing about the "potential avian bird flu." I am sick and tired about hearing about breast cancer with a whole month dedicated to breast cancer. I am sick and tired of hearing about AIDS in Africa. I so sick and tired hearing about Katrina victims who are homeless which now brings me to my point today.

How many of you knew that the victims of Katrina could not, or had a hard time receiving their Meds after Katrina. HIV/AIDS has become the forgotten disease of America. The government has cut back on funding for preventive education and research. The standards for disability are outrageous. You may feel like shit but if your numbers look good on paper you are denied, denied, denied!!

It just feels to me the above fore mention are the current fads of the American public right now. I am not trying to be unjust to the hardships of having breast cancer. The epidemic in Africa is a serious problem. The Katrina victims do need help but damn it America the coffees brewing and no one here in America is smelling it and the SUPER VIRUS is going to show it's ugly head again like it did in New York City in the beginning of 2005 .

Cut The Shit Joe who I love to read pimped my story about finding out when I was positive. I love Joe dearly and he wrote "I 've known Mikey was positive from the moment I stumbled across his site-as he bravely and unabashedly has it listed on his side bar of his main page." I did this for a number of reasons. First I want people to know that this is me. Second I feel HIV/AIDS still has such a stigma around it the general population in America that they are afraid to discuss HIV. How many times have you seen entertainers wear red ribbons now at award shows, film premiers, and other publicized social event? Well the only person I have seen in a world televised event was George Clooney mentioning AIDS at the Academy awards.

When has Oprah, Ellen, The View, Live with Regis and Kelly, all the morning news show, the nightly news shows had a segment on HIV? Where is the AIDS quilt stored at that was so grandioso displayed in central park, that hasn't been displayed in years? I'll tell you, not fucking lately. If HIV/AIDS is now listed as a "Chronic Disease" and not terminal then why the hell did not one, not two, but three of my roommates die from it last year.

My story is only one of many horror stories in the world about HIV/AIDS. I do not want to become the new Jerry's Kids Poster Child for HIV but more people need to open up about their HIV status. We need to start putting faces to people that are living with AIDS in America instead of other countries. Let Americans start thinking about people with HIV who are their next door neighbors. Wake up America, wake up!!

9 Comments:

  • I think the 3 drug cocktail killed awareness. People started thinking that HIV/AIDS is a disease you can live with if caught early. No one sees it as a death sentence anymore, so people aren't making a big deal about it. It's sad. People won't care about AIDS the way they used to unless it happens to them. Then they'll see that it's not just something to live with.

    I hope you feel better soon.

    By Blogger Cheetarah1980, At 12:16 AM  

  • Oh, Baby doll, I am standing up, clapping, cheering, applauding, and tearfully saying, "Hell-fucking-yeah!!!!!!!!"

    I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!

    I couldn't agree more. The media latches onto whatever is the hot topic button of the moment and then somewhere, somehow it dies away never to be heard from again. It's only when we, as lowly American citizens, demand that it be front and center that it becomes front and center. I say, if there is anyway for you to make this post public. As in really, really public. Newspaper grabbing public. Go for it. This post needs to be seen and needs to be heard!

    By Blogger Party Girl, At 8:15 AM  

  • m,
    let me know if you need anything.

    and kudos for this post. maybe you should be the new pr person for the org?

    xo
    sizz

    By Blogger Sizzle, At 8:57 AM  

  • A-freaking-men.

    There are few stigmas left in the world (at least, openly realized as stigmatic!), and this is definitely one of them.

    HIV status is no longer seen as a death sentance, as noted above - which is only a result of the new cocktail. It should be.

    By Blogger ptg, At 9:36 AM  

  • Hey Mikey, Rant On Friend!!! Thanx for being the strong voice in a complacent community. I added a tag about you on my blog today, and hopefully will direct some others to read your fine writing on the subject and in general. BTW, email me over at the website when you have a chance, I have something I want you to work on with me if up to it. Feel better my friend, and KEEP ON WRITING!!....GG

    By Blogger The Gay Guru, At 10:08 AM  

  • I wish I could remember which comedian it was that said "they don't cure anything anymore because the money ain't in the cure... it's in the treatment"... it sounds kind of like Chris Rock, but I'm not sure. I think it was supposed to be funny, but I'm not laughing because the truth of it hurts too much. What does something like this say about our society?

    I wonder what's going to happen when a new generation of sexually-active young people are entering a world where HIV/AIDS has been pushed aside in society. It looks like we're coming full-circle here... unknowing -> fear -> ignorance -> education -> awareness -> complacency -> forgetfulness -> unknowing...

    Feel better Mikey. :-(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:31 AM  

  • i too am standing and clapping

    By Blogger Jules, At 10:56 PM  

  • Mikey - that was a brilliant post. well done!

    feel better soon...

    By Blogger suze, At 7:38 AM  

  • hello world,i am LAWRY from USA my heart is full of joy for what Dr Oko SOLUTIONHOME@OUTLOOK.COM the traditional healer has done for me, i was diagnose with HIV/AIDS for the past four years, i thought my life was going to end like that, cause i thought there is no cure for this deadly disease,until i came across a testimony of a young man who said that he was cure with the herbal medicine of Dr Oko, initially i thought it was a scam testimony but i said i must also try this man to see if it true or false testimony. so i contacted this man through his email and he response to my emails and told me what to do, i kindly did what he ask me to do, and he sent me his herbal medicine and instructed me on how i will be taking them daily, i kindly follows the precaution and after some weeks i went for medical check up and my result came out with Negative.i want to use this medium to inform everyone living with HIV/AIDS to stop wasting time on medical drugs and contact Dr Oko the traditional healer for some herbal medicine that will cure you once and for all. please contact him through his email: solutionhome@outlook.com please note that this man is 100% trusted and guarantee.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home

|